‘Upton Memories’ Exhibition & more this August Bank Holiday
The weather forecast is looking good! Pack a picnic (or pick up some refreshments while you’re here) and join us for fun and fresh air in the Country Park this Bank Holiday weekend!
A History told by You
‘Upton Memories’ is a project created by a group of history students from Bournemouth University, as part of the Heritage Fund Discovery Project.
They spent the early months of 2021 working with the local community, and with pupils from Longfleet Primary School, collecting pictures, press cuttings and stories of the Park from the local community.
The project set out to chart how the Park has changed within living memory and to create new visitor experiences for this and future generations. The result is a fascinating audio archive and 38-page booklet being launched as part of an exhibition in The Gallery Upstairs this August Bank Holiday. Free admission.
- Open 10am – 5pm, from Thursday 26th to Monday 30th August
Art Pro Loco, 27th – 30th August
Bring your crayons, pens, pencils, paints or any other art supply of choice and get your Park artwork on display this weekend! Come along to register at The Gallery Upstairs on either Friday, Saturday or Sunday. There is a £2 entry fee (£1 for children under 5), and there are prizes!
You will need to complete your picture within the same day and your work will be exhibited alongside the Upton Memories exhibition; entries will be voted for by visitors on Monday 30th August and winners announced later that day! Open to all, come and demonstrate your creative talents!
Literary treats at the shoreline woods
Come along and discover our Poetree Trail at the Shoreline Woods!
Find the poems as you explore the woodland and have a go at some of the activities along the way. Available until Wednesday 1st September.
Continuing the literary theme, on Friday 27th August we have free Storytelling & Craft sessions with BCP Libraries as part of the Summer Reading Challenge 2021. Sessions start on the hour, every hour from 10am to 4pm.
- Our monthly Fox & Cubs Club for dads and kids on Saturday the 28th (£4 per child, limited spaces, booking essential – details here).
- Come and Create @ Upton Country Park, open every Wednesday – Sunday for decopatch, sand art, model making, pottery painting and more, booking essential – details here
- Feeling up to an active challenge? Why not register for a 5k parkrun (walk or jog) this Saturday morning. The weekly 2k junior parkrun (for 4-14 year olds) takes place on Sunday.
- You can always cool down afterwards in the Walled Garden’s Splash Fountain – it does it’s thing twice at day, from 11am-1pm and from 2-5pm!
Whatever you choose to do this Bank Holiday weekend, we hope you all have a fabulous few days!