Autumn Updates and Half-Term Activities
The leaves are turning golden, the nights are drawing in, and Park opening hours have changed to reflect the changing seasons. From 1st October our main gates and car park close at 6pm rather than 9pm – but we have plenty on offer to help you pack some fun and creativity into the shorter days of Autumn …
Free half-term activities
Simply pick up an activity sheet from the Tea Rooms between 10am – 3pm, then head out for:
- An Autumn Colour Scavenger Hunt – find the shapes and shades of autumn to complete your scavenger hunt! From 21st – 29th October
- A Creepy Creatures Halloween Hunt – find the pumpkins and discover the creepy creatures lurking there! On 30th & 31st October
Drop-in Creative Craft sessions
In the Activity Area near Spurrier’s Play Park & the Tea Rooms. £2 per child per session, pay on the day (cash or card), no pre-booking required:
- Make a Leaf Lantern – collect autumn leaves to make your very own illuminated lantern to take home with you! 24th & 27th October
- Make a Spooky Spider’s Web – celebrate the spooky season by making a spider’s web to take home with you! 31st October
Urban Heaths Halloween Takeover!!
29th October 10am-3pm, in the Activity Area near Spurrier’s Play Park & the Tea Rooms.
Join the Urban Heaths Partnership & friends for a family fun day to celebrate half term! No booking required, just drop in, say hello. Lots of free things to see and do!
Bring your four-legged friends, Dorset Dogs pop-up Pit Stop will be with us from 10am-3pm with free doggy goody bags, games and information station
A call to local artists
The Poole and East Dorset Art Society (PEDAS) invites artists in any 2D or 3D visual art medium (except photography or video), living within a 15- mile radius of Poole, to create new and original work for the Upton Country Park Open 2021 exhibition. The theme this year is “Wild” – and our photo shows PEDAS members getting into the spirit!
The deadline for submissions is 20th November 2021; selected works will be exhibited in The Gallery Upstairs from 3rd to 21st December. Full details and online entry form at www.pedas.org.uk/open-2021
“SOS – Planet Earth Needs Our Help”
Calling primary schools and families with young children in the BCP area. You are are invited to take part in a local Earth Day 21 Event: a creative exhibition of posters coinciding with the United Nations COP26 Climate Change Conference taking place in Glasgow.
Submissions by 31st October please, to be considered for inclusion in the “Actions Speak Louder” exhibition at The Gallery Upstairs running from 26th – 29th November. Full details at: www.planetearthneedsourhelp.com/local-project-21
A History told by You, now online
‘Upton Memories’ is a project created by a group of history students from Bournemouth University, as part of the Heritage Fund Discovery Project. The project set out to chart how the Park has changed within living memory and to create new visitor experiences for this and future generations. In August we displayed our progress so far as part of an exhibition in The Gallery Upstairs; today the fascinating audio archive and 38-page booklet are available online:
This is an ongoing project; to find out how you can take part please get in touch with the team at Bournemouth University by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Upton Country Park & Poole Cycle Ride
We have teamed up with Beryl, the official bike share provider across BCP, to launch a new led cycle ride starting & ending in the Park, taking in Hamworthy, Poole Quay & Holes Bay.
Bring your bike along and join them to explore the local cycle routes, 1-3pm, meeting at the Beryl bay in the main car park (adjacent to the toilet block). Spaces are limited to 8 per ride, details and registration:
- Our monthly Fox & Cubs Club for dads and kids on Saturday the 30th (£4 per child, limited spaces, booking essential – details here).
- Feeling up to an active challenge? Why not register for a 5k parkrun (walk or jog) this Saturday morning. The weekly 2k junior parkrun (for 4-14 year olds) takes place on Sunday.
- Rather be indoors? Come and Create@Upton Country Park, open every Wednesday – Sunday for decopatch, sand art, model making, pottery painting and more, booking essential – details here.
Join us for a season of mists and mellow fruitfulness at Upton Country Park!